I just found these photos on my camera - I'd intended to use them when teaching this layout in class but I forgot all about them and turns out we didn't really need them 'cos we managed to get it done anyhow.
So, I guess, now I can show YOU instead - haha. Just in case you wanted to know.
FIRST: I stamped with acrylic paint onto a transparency. (I used corrugated cardboard and a Tim Holtz stamp). (you could actually stamp directly, but I wanted the rectangular shape)WARNING!!! If you are going to stamp using acrylic paint, wash immediately after you stamp otherwise it is VERY PAINFUL trying to get the paint out of the stamp (trust me on this one). Rubber stamps work better.
AND THEN: I pasted some Tim Holtz alpha stickers around the rectangle and dry brushed the same coloured acrylic paint around it. (After painting, I immediately regretted not putting everything a bit more to the right, but.... I'll just have to deal with that later)
AND THEN: I added some paper (to give a little 'quiet' from the mess behind) and tore away the right edge of the layout and added some Creative Imaginations wood paper to balance off my 'mistake' with the positioning earlier.
AND THEN: It still felt a bit too 'clean', so I dry brushed more paint on the edges, and stamped some little words peeking out here and there among the paint. Some twine for texture and title and its done.
I was looking back at some of my older layouts and I realise that I do stamped backgrounds A LOT!!! Strange that I only just realised that about myself....