Tuesday, April 21, 2009

(Present)ing...

Wanted to share some fun presents I made. Its quite a nice gift idea and not too hard to do... ('instructions' after the pics)

This one was for hubby last christmas - using lots of white rub ons. (actually made a whole series of these for friends - all in all, used about 6 packs of different rub ons for about 12 people.) Made this one recently for my sis - with her favourite paper from Sassafrass Lass. The little girl on the tricycle actually reminds me of a photo of her as a little kid - very cute, with curls)
Thought you might like to see it more clearly without the frosted cover...
Materials:
1. Notebooks with plain covers - I got mine from Borders (more expensive but really nice. You can use cheapo ones for people you don't like so much...haha)
2. Scraps of patterned paper, and rub ons.
Method:
3. Layer, layer, layer in the corner.... - you might find it helpful to cover the corner with word paper (like in my sis's book) to have a 'base' that will cover any of your empty spots. Also, I find it helps to just layer in one long element going along the bottom edge and one on the right edge to help me get started. Then all the big elements go in first, and then after that fill in little bits with rub ons or little images you like.
Note: Its quite nice if the rub ons get 'broken' as you work too - it's texture! (All my mistakes are texture)
This is a nice way to use up some of your old rub ons and bits of paper... Enjoy!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

but wouldn't the rubons get "peeled" off after time, esp for your husband's?

CK Chai said...

Nice altered notebooks :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's a cool idea for making gift. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, have always like your work... your work is so creative. Love them all!

Annie

Unknown said...

Ah, forgot to mention. I painted a thin layer of gel medium over the rub ons on my husband's notebook to seal it in - works pretty well. You can use Mod Podge too I guess... The other one had the frosted cover over it so it was alright. Thanks for asking stinkydudette (love the name by the way! :o)

Sophia said...

Oooohhh...lovely notebooks Sharon! Love what you did! Thanks for sharing the idea! :)

I'll find time to do that for my boy's teachers at school!

Sophia said...

Oh yes, having read your previous postings on sharing techniques online... I must really thank you for being so generous to share how to get certain things done for that desired effect!

I don't think people will ever stop coming for your classes! Even though I've been scrapping for sometime and had not been attending classes until recently, I find it soooo refreshing to be sitting in your class (though taught by Betty)... it's the little things like "Why didn't I think of that?" as well as getting more hands-on and dirty with our hands as well as trying out new things that makes me wanna come back for more!

And yes, the Lord is your vindication and your boy is really wise beyond his years to actually say that God will fight your battles! His favour will protect you in every area that you "work" in and it's His favour that will continue to cause your work to shine! So keep on shining for the Lord Sharon!

And I'm hooked on your classes, so you'll be seeing more of me around... hahaha, I think it'll likely be Betty coz I can only do night and weekend lessons :P

*hugs*

Sasha Farina said...

*snort* now i have coffee and saliva all over my keyboard.. hahaha *gross i know*...

"You can use cheapo ones for people you don't like so much"

you, my dear.. so so cute la!

Michelle Ling said...

For people you don't like so much ... why make them notebooks!!? Haha!

Thanks Sharon. What a great way to use up the rub-ons!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reply, sharon! i love my nick too! *chuckles*

- Kate

Julie said...

what a great idea love them

Wati Basri said...

sharon....great idea!! love it...and thanks for sharing...and don't stop sharing..hehehehe!!

jaz lee said...

Wanna see more Sharon! so stunning so stunning!TFS!-jaz