Friday, February 11, 2011

Regrets.....I've Had a Few...But Then Again

Anatomy of an experiment:

1. Painting is always a good way to begin:
- a little white paint on a black journal is lovely to behold...2. Stamping is GOOOD:
- lovely lovely Purple Onion stamp.....ahhhh.... 3. Now let's get Another Layer on.... - Embossed Clear UTEE using my favourite Purple Onion alphabet stamp......you have to look really hard to see it.
4. Black is back
- a layer of black paint over everything....aaahhh...

*Pause to breathe while paint dries*......Now, technically, what should happen next is.... that when I use a baby wipe to wipe off the topmost layer of black paint,
a) The alphabets should appear (UTEE resists paint)
b) The leaf pattern I stamped below the UTEE should show up within the alphabets.
c) I should therefore get.....alphabets with pretty white and black leaf print in them...

here we go....

5. Errm.....???!!!
- its there yet not quite there. The alphas are there....the leaf pattern is there....but.....but.....oh man, totally not what I hoped it would be......The leaf pattern is showing up inside the alphas....but also EVERYWHERE ELSE!!!


Now, experience has taught me that the best way out of this situation is to just enjoy the final result. Abandon all dreams of the original concept and embrace the unexpected!

So.... ta dah...I finished it anyway. (though I secretly wish I'd stopped back at step 4 (I really like that textured black look...hmmm...)
Things always look better with a few embellies..... :)

7 comments:

Scrapthat said...

It may not be what you had in mind when you started out but it looks cool all the same!

lynklee said...

wow this is cool. I need to get myself some UTEE. and gesso. and... uh-oh!

curlyqmosaics said...

Fabulous cover! You didn't intend for it to turn out this way, but WOW! Sometimes mistakes turn out to be a blessing. Fantastic!

Jessy Christopher said...

Loving the resisting, embossing, stamping & layering technique!! Aiyo u always full of beautiful creativity!!

CK Chai said...

Cool! Loving how you dare to experiment and always manage to make the best out of the originally "undesirable" result!

and thanks for sharing, of cause!

Anonymous said...

Hello, may i know where can i get UTEE from in Singapore? thanks much :D

Unknown said...

UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) comes in clear or colour. You can try Laine's Papeterie (level 3, Wheelock Place) or PaperMarket (Basement 1 Raffles City). :)